Landscaping Equipment Grants
Commercial landscaping companies are a crucial part of the local economy. Unfortunately, the types of equipment used are a source of routine concern among the City of Boulder and other Boulder County community members.
Operating a commercial lawn mower for one hour emits as much pollution as driving a new light-duty passenger car from Los Angeles to Las Vegas – a trip that takes more than four hours. One hour of operating a commercial leaf blower emits pollution comparable to driving a new light-duty passenger car for 15 hours or the distance from Los Angeles to Denver.
PACE has partnered with the City of Boulder and the American Green Zone Alliance (AGZA) to develop a pilot program for 2023 that supports small local landscape companies to begin to transition from loud polluting landscaping equipment to vetted electric alternatives. Through the Electric Landscaping Equipment Grants for Businesses, PACE helps remove barriers to provide your business an opportunity to enjoy the benefits of new, efficient equipment while helping your business and the community reach their sustainability goals.
Grants are available to professional landscaping businesses located in Boulder County. Businesses must fill out the grant application, get approved, and receive a voucher before purchasing the equipment at a participating retailer–grants cannot be awarded after equipment is bought. Click here to access the grant application.
What does the grant cover?
The grant will pay for about 70%* of the cost of eligible commercial electric landscape equipment, with a limit of $15,000 (excluding sales tax) per recipient. Additionally, the program will provide safety items to help ensure safe use of commercial lithium batteries.
* PACE will cover 80% of the cost of equipment (before tax) and the participant only pays 20% of the cost of equipment (before tax) and all the sales tax on the transaction (varies per city but is less than 10%). The total amount due from the participant is less than 30% of cost of the equipment (before tax).
What type of equipment is included in the grant?
The grant covers a selection AGZA Field Tested and Certified commercial landscaping equipment. Equipment includes blowers, trimmers, and small mowers. PACE has worked with AGZA and other industry experts to ensure that:
- The equipment being offered is of high-quality commercial grade
- Each piece of equipment comes with the correct accessories
- There are enough batteries per item to last for a full day of use
- The appropriate items are provided to support battery safety
Brands that will be part of this pilot phase are Husqvarna, Makita, and Stihl. For a full list of eligible commercial landscape equipment and safety items visit this link.
Where do I buy the equipment?
This program is offered through retailers located in Boulder County. The retailers will use their expertise to help participants select the right eligible commercial landscape equipment.
PACE is actively working on finalizing contracts with several retailers that sell commercial landscaping equipment. PACE will publish the list of approved retailers soon.
Who is eligible for the grant?
This grant is available to Boulder County business owners who meet each of the following criteria:
- Owner lives in Colorado
- Business is located in Boulder County
- Business has been in operation for a minimum of two years
- Owner manages and/or works day-to-day operations and makes long-term decisions
- Business pays utility bill
- Total operating square footage is 2,500 square feet or less
- Minority-owned businesses are highly encouraged to apply
If you do not meet all the above criteria and would like to be considered, please fill out and submit the interest form and include detailed information in the exception request section.
Grants are awarded on a first come, first served basis while funding is available.