Solar Rebates and Grants
PACE offers financial support for the installation of solar PV systems on commercial properties, including those owned or occupied by for-profit businesses, nonprofit organizations, and multifamily housing. Restrictions apply.
What options are available?
PACE and the City of Boulder offer grants and rebates that are determined by organization type, property location, and system capacity. Awards are subject to pre-defined program limits and available on a first-come-first-served basis to eligible organizations while funding is available.
PACE Solar Rebate
$0.75 per watt based on system capacity, limit $10,000*. Businesses, nonprofit organizations, and multifamily housing located in Boulder County are eligible to apply.
Nonprofit Solar Equity Grant
$10,000 per project, limit one grant ($10,000)*. Nonprofit organizations serving low-income populations in Boulder County who meet the following criteria are eligible to apply:
- The organization’s core mission serves low-income individuals and families OR the organization is a place of worship with low income services provided directly from the organization.
- The organization is an IRS 501(c)3 nonprofit organization in good standing with the State of Colorado.
- The organization is responsible for paying its energy bills.
City of Boulder Nonprofit Solar Grant
$0.80 per watt based on system capacity, limit $35,000*. Site-based nonprofits in the City of Boulder are eligible to apply. Income-qualified housing that is owned and operated by a nonprofit in the City of Boulder is also eligible.Click Here to Apply for Small Business, Multifamily, and Nonprofit Solar Grants and Rebates
Please note that each solar incentive is limited to 50% of the total project cost after utility incentives are applied. Eligible nonprofits may combine incentives up to 70% of the total project cost.
City of Boulder Tax Rebate
City of Boulder residents and businesses that have installed solar electric or solar thermal (hot water) systems on their property may also be eligible for a sales and use tax rebate. The city may rebate approximately 15 percent of the city sales and use tax paid on materials and permits for the solar installation. To be eligible, taxpayers must file a rebate application within 12 months of the city’s final inspection. The City of Boulder sales and use tax rebate does not impact eligibility for PACE’s solar rebate.
Businesses must fit the following criteria to be eligible:
- Owner lives in Colorado
- Business is located in Boulder County
- Business has been in operation for a minimum of two years
- Owner manages and/or works day-to-day operations and makes long-term decisions
- Business pays utility bill
- Total operating square footage is 2,500 square feet or less
- Applicant is the property owner. Applicants who lease their property will also be considered if they have a minimum 3-year lease term remaining and option to renew
- Property must be free from deed restrictions on PV systems
- Units must be installed within the bounds of the property premises
- North-facing roofs do not qualify
- There must be minimal shading by trees, buildings and other structures
- A list of eligible PV system modules and inverters is available on the California Energy Commission’s website
- All PV systems must carry a five-year warranty from both the manufacturer and the installer, including parts and labor
- Rebuilt, used, refurbished or portable equipment does not qualify
- New construction or major renovations qualify except if solar is required by code or if solar is being added to contribute to code compliance, even if the amount of solar is above code requirements. Exceptions may be considered for nonprofits on a limited basis
- A no-cost PACE assessment and review of a Zero Over Time Roadmap is required prior to all solar rebate reservations
- Properties located in the City of Boulder must be compliant with the Building Performance Ordinance, if applicable based on building size
Minority-owned businesses are highly encouraged to apply. If you do not meet all the above criteria and would like to be considered, please fill out and submit the interest form and include detailed information in the exception request section. If you do not qualify for the Small Business Equity Program, you likely still qualify for PACE rebates.
Grants are awarded on a first come, first served basis while funding is available.
PACE Grant Rules:
- Grant funding from PACE is capped at $20,000 per business annually.
- The total of all incentives (PACE Restaurant and Grocery Equipment Grant, Financial Hardship Lighting Grant, utility rebates, etc.) cannot exceed 70% of total equipment costs unless authorized by PACE.
- These grants cannot be combined with PACE rebates.
- As part of the grant application process, you will need to complete a beneficiary agreement. Your PACE advisor will support you through this process.
What happens next?
After you submit your application, a PACE advisor will contact you to review your application form, confirm your eligibility, and gather additional details needed. If you have any questions in the meantime, you can always contact us at 303-786-7223 or info@PACEpartners.com